Hours of learning: 5.5
Mrs Pauline Mulholland, Chief Pharmacy Technician, SHSCT.
To enable participants to become accredited checking pharmacy technicians. This programme conforms to the National Checking Programme.
Intended learning outcomes
Having completed this workshop you should be able to:
- describe the legal requirements for dispensing of medicines and medicinal products
- discuss the legal and ethical implications of technician checking
- recognise the consequences and implications of dispensing/checking errors and the role of SOPs in minimising the incidence of such errors
- recognise the necessity of referring to colleagues in the final accuracy check
- perform the final accuracy check for dispensed items, previously clinically screened/approved by a pharmacist and annotated according to local procedure.
Pharmacy technicians who wish to become an accredited checking pharmacy technician (ACPT). Applicants for this workshop must:
- have 2 years post-qualification experience of dispensing
- work in a dispensary where appropriate SOPs are in place
- have the support of their pharmacy manager
- have identified an appropriate individual who has undertaken, or will undertake, the ACPT Educational supervisor programme.